Charles Rennie Mackintosh's many designs have inspired many jewellery designers to create Mackintosh Brooches, Rings, Pendants, Cufflinks, Necklaces, Earrings, Bracelets and Mackintosh Bangles. Around 1989 Mackintosh inspried jewelry was becoming very popluar, some Scottish Jewellery manufactures like Carrick Jewellery, Ortak and Ola Gorie started to produce some excellent Mackintosh jewellery. Today Mackintosh inspired jewellery is still selling well.
About Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Mackintosh was born in June 1868 in Glasgow. He was the son of a police superintendent, as a young man he enjoyed rambling through the Scottish countryside. It was during these trips he made detailed drawings of wild flowers, plants and local buildings. This attachment to the natural world was to remain a permanent feature of Mackintosh’s life and is evident throughout his work.
Despite parental disapproval, mackintosh had decided to become an architect. In 1884 at the age of 16, he was apprenticed to the architectural firm of John Hutchison of Glasgow. The same year mackintosh enrolled at the Glasgow school of art where he took courses in painting and drawing all at night after work. He won many prizes during his eight years Part time attendance. For Example his designs for a chapel in 1888 and a church in 1889 both won prizes, when entered for the annual national competition at south kensington. Back at the Glasgow school of art Mackintosh and his friend Herbert MacNair met the sisters margaret and Francis Macdonald, (THAT’S A LOT OF MAC’S ) they soon became known as THE FOUR making a significant contribution to the Glasgow style of art nouveau.
In 1891 mackintosh won the prestigious Alexander Thomson travelling scholarship for his design of a public hall. The award of 60 pounds was enough to enable him to travel and spend several months in Italy, studying and painting.
The turning point in mackintosh’s career came in 1896 when again he won yet another competition. The competition was to design the new Glasgow school of art. The first stage, completed between 1897-1899, revealed Mackintosh’s ability as an architect and designer. Unfortunately, the project received little publicity in Britain.
In 1900 mackintosh married Margaret Macdonald who collaborated on many projects with her husband often designing the decorative elements. In Vienna the mackintosh’s were invited to contribute to the 8th secession exhibition. The organisers of the event were impressed with mackintosh’s white interiors and stylish furniture. Here in Vienna mackintosh received some of the recognition he never received in Great Britain.
The period of 1907-1909 saw mackintosh complete the west wing of the Glasgow school of art as well as working on several domestic projects like the willow tearooms in Glasgow. Mackintosh is said to have designed the staff uniforms and even came into arrange the flowers two hours before the grand opening.
In 1914 the mackintosh’s were initially intending to move to Vienna, but with the outbreak of WW1 this became impossible, instead they moved to Chelsea in London. During the war mackintosh earned an income by designing fabrics, and remodelling a house in Northampton. In 1923 Mackintosh decided to embark on a new career as a watercolorist and moved to the south of France. Sadly mackintosh’s paintings never commanded the same degree of interest as his building and interiors.
In 1927 mackintosh returned to England where he was unsuccessfully treated for cancer of the tongue and died in December 1928 aged 60.
Mackintosh’s best known work Includes:
The Hill House, originally designed for the publisher Walter Blackie, is now in the care of The National Trust for Scotland. The original furniture, fittings and interior designs have been reinstated or restored.
The Mackintosh House, the interiors of 6 Florentine Terrace, Glasgow - home of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh from 1906 to 1914 meticulously reassembled within the University’s Hunterian Art Gallery.
The Willow Tea Rooms, Behind the remarkable facade which Mackintosh created for Kate Cranston, enjoy breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea in beautiful settings from a bygone era.
The Glasgow School of Art Mackintosh Building, considered to be one of the most influential and significant structures of the twentieth century.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum The Glasgow Style gallery displays furniture, decorative objects and paintings which set Mackintosh’s work in the context of Glasgow at the turn of the century.
Scotland Street School Museum, Scotland Street Public School was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, between 1903-6 to provide schooling for 1250 children from the Kingston area of Glasgow for the School Board of Glasgow.
The Lighthouse, the starting point to discovering Mackintosh’s contribution to art and architecture. Great city views from the Tower.